How to become an Uber Driver – In this article i will be shareing with you the in’s and out’s of become a successful Uber driver, 2022 Uber Nigeria car requirements . The types of cars that are accepted by Uber in Nigeria as well as what you should know about Uber drivers in Nigeria and a whole lot more.
Rural to urban migration has compelled the development of urban transportation, but it has also served as a long-term indicator of greener pastures. While a small number of people in rural areas seek quality of life through subsistence, the overall result is a heavily populated urban area where everyone competes for transportation. Leading to the rise in a highly lucrative business , which can also be a side hustle.
Uber driving is a lucrative industry in Nigeria, with weekly salaries ranging from 60,000 to 120,000 Naira, providing many job opportunities for the unemployed in Nigeria.
Uber has expanded into key cities in Nigeria, including Lagos, Abuja, and other cities, due to the growing population and people’s need for a comfortable ride service. With the growing success of Uber ridesharing services, several people have stated that starting and operating an Uber business is too complex.
If you’re reading this, you’re undoubtedly looking for a way to become an Uber driver in Ernest, and this article will walk you through every step of the process.
What is Uber
Uber is a taxi cab transportation and delivery network company owned by Uber Technologies Inc. that uses an online platform to connect passengers with drivers who drive their own cars. Uber was founded in 2009 as a ridesharing network company with headquarters in San Francisco, California. They moved into Africa in August 2013 and launched in Nigeria in July 2014.
The peak economical and efficient services they provide which brought a change in the economy is now cited as Uberisation.
How to Become an Uber Driver in Nigeria in 2022: A Complete Guide Revealed
Important Facts about becoming Uber driver in Nigeria
1. According to the compensation plan, Uber drivers receive 75% of the fare, while Uber receives the remaining 25%.
2. Payment is usually made weekly, and under this provision, you will receive a report detailing your activity for the previous week, as well as the amount you are due to collect as at Thursday.
3. As an Uber driver, you can expect to earn between N30k and N100k per week.
4. Due to the fact that you’ll be driving a lot, you’ll need a fuel-efficient vehicle, such as a Corolla, Kia, or Hyundai.
5. If you drive by yourself, you can pay for a N2 million car in a few months; however, you may have to wait up to 20 months to complete the payment if you hand the car over to a driver.
Qualifications for becoming an Uber driver
It’s crucial to note that these standards may differ based on the state of operation, but they’re all quite comparable no matter where you are.
- You must have a valid Nigeria driver’s license.
- You ought to have completed a safety screening.
- Watch a short training video to enhance your understanding of the business process.
- You should not be younger than 21 years.
Uber Nigeria car requirements 2022
As previously stated, Uber Nigeria does not accept all vehicle types. So, which vehicles are accepted by Uber? In general, your vehicle must meet the following specifications:
- Not older than the 2000 model year
- Is a 4-door sedan
- In good working condition and aesthetic condition
- Able to carry at least 4 passengers
- Has functional windows, air conditioning, and radio
* Please keep in mind that the following vehicles listed below are NOT eligible for Uber in Nigeria:
- 2-door cars
- Full-size trucks or vans
- Taxies, government-owned vehicles, and other marked vehicles
- Salvaged, accidented or rebuilt vehicles
- list of cars that Uber accepts in Nigeria
- Acura: RDX, TL, MDX, RL, RLX
- Audi: A4, A6, A7, Q5, S6, S7, S8
- BMW: 3 series, 5 series, 7 series, X3, X4, X5, X6
- Chevrolet: Cruze, Epica
- Chrysler: 300
- Dodge: Charger, Durango, Journey
- Ford: Focus, Fusion, Edge, Explorer, Expedition
- Geely: MK, JX, M, M35, M37, M45, M56, Q56, Q60
- Honda: Accord, Crosstour, CR-V, Civic, Element
- Hyundai: Elantra, Accent, Santa Fe, Sonata, Tuscon, Veracruz
- Infiniti: Q50
- Jeep: Cherokee, Compass, Grand Cherokee, Liberty, Patriot
- Kia: Optima, Rio (2014-newer), Sedona, Sorento, Sportage
- Lexus: ES350, GS350, 570, GS 450, GS 460, LS 460, RX350, RX450
- Lincoln: MCK, MKS, MKT, MKX
- Mazda: CX-5, CX-7, CX-9, Mazda 6
- Nissan: Maxima, Murano, Rogue, Xterra
- Toyota: Avalon, Avensis, Camry, Corolla, Highlander, Prius, RAV4, Venza, Land Cruiser
- Volkswagen: Jetta, Tiguan, Touareg
- Required vehicle documents
- You should have a vehicle inspection report.
- Vehicle insurance must be in place.
- Roadworthiness certificate.
- A valid Hackney permit
Now that we know the qualification required for an Uber driver, Vehicle requirement of an Uber Driver, Cars accepted by Uber & the required vehicle documents, lets take a look at the steps to take when registering on Uber.
Steps on How to Register for Uber in Nigeria
After you’ve met the requirements, you can begin the process of creating your Uber partner account.
Have your car inspected.
Uber partners must pay a fee of ₦2000 to have their vehicles inspected at Uber partner inspection centers. The list of all Uber inspection centers is provided below so you can find the one closest to you. To schedule an inspection, you must first contact them.
Sign up (fill in the form accurately with required details)
You will need to upload your documents accordingly (Valid driver’s license, driver profile photo, safety screening and virtual info session, valid LASDRI for Lagos drivers). Prepare your paperwork and send it to Uber.
- A valid driver’s license is required.
- An inspection report for a vehicle.
- A valid proof of insurance for your vehicle (for the car you will be using for the Uber business). Make sure your car’s registration number is listed on the insurance document, and the expiration date is correct. Your legal name, the name on your insurance document, and the name you’ll use to sign up for Uber should all be the same.
- A certificate of roadworthiness for a vehicle (See the procedure to get a vehicle roadworthiness certificate in Nigeria)
- Your Identity Card
- A photograph for a passport
Haven ensured that your vehicle meets the minimum required standard, it should also be in excellent working condition.
Uber background check-
This is the final step to your signup process. The Uber background check is about going through the documents you made available in step 3 to check:
- Criminal history
- Motor vehicle record
- A thorough check of your driving record
- The final step involved is to activate your account and start making money.
Which car is best for Uber in Nigeria?
Every driver desires a vehicle that delivers excellent gas mileage. Your profits as an Uber driver will not simply be utilized to fuel your vehicle. Furthermore, because the automobile will be used for business purposes, it will need to be repaired more regularly, so a vehicle that is simple to maintain is preferable. A list of automobiles that fit both criteria is shown below:
- Toyota Corolla
- Toyota Camry
- Honda Accord
- Honda Civic
- Honda Element
- Hyundai Elantra
- Hyundai Sonata
- Hyundai Tucson
- Kia Rio
Factors Affecting How Much Uber Pays a Car Owner in Nigeria
Whether you’re a partner or a driver, you may make a lot of money through Uber every week. We’ll group them together in this section because they’re both deemed car owners by Uber. A variety of factors influence how much money an Uber driver makes every week, including:
The driver’s current location– Lagos drivers earn more than their counterparts in other parts of the country.
The amount of trips a driver takes every week is another major influencing factor. Drivers tend to make more money when they take more journeys.
Each excursion covered a certain amount of ground. A driver will make more money if he or she travels a long distance on a journey than if they travel a short distance.
Finally, surge determines how much a driver earns. The term “surge” is used to describe whether or not it is rush hour. During rush or peak seasons, a driver gets more money than during off-peak periods.
Tips On How to Make more money with Uber
Given the many complex rules in the Uber system, hard work is not the most important factor when applying for ride-hailing services like Uber. For your convenience, we’ve compiled a list of tips from experienced Uber drivers to enable you make maximum income.
Make friends with experienced drivers– Establish a rapport with seasoned Uber drivers who are willing to share valuable insights into how to make more money in this industry. There is no book or course that can teach you those things; instead, seek out people who have firsthand experience.
Hotels and shopping malls are excellent locations for getting riders – Hotels account for 28.1 percent of Uber’s top destinations in Lagos, according to a recent post. Shopping malls account for 26.1 percent. They are excellent sources of requests. You should also keep a daily journal to keep track of the times and locations where you get the most rides. Here are the areas in Lagos with the most riding needs; Lekki, Surulere, Victoria Island, Ikeja, Maryland, Yaba
Spend more time at work on days with concerts and big events (Festive periods and Public Holidays) – These events draw a large number of fans and tourists who need to get around. It’s a fantastic time to get more rides and earn more money.
Driving during rush hours – Driving in heavy traffic may be more difficult, but the demand and fees are significantly higher. Morning rush hour is 6-9 a.m., evening rush hour is 4-9 p.m., and weekends are busier times.
Select a suitable parking spot for your vehicle – A suitable parking spot is one that is not near major roads but away from congested areas so you can save time and fuel when picking up your passenger.
Get tips -If you know how to increase your take-home in this area, tips can be a significant part of your earnings. Aside from providing smooth and safe rides, you can assist your passengers when they clearly require assistance, such as opening the door or boot, and loading luggage, even if it is heavy. Furthermore, wishing your rider a pleasant day can go a long way.
Tell your family and friends about your job – Word of mouth to family and friends is your cheapest and easiest form of advert. if your relatives, friends, and neighbors know you work for Uber, you may be able to get more rides. The driver who shares these hints has a young customer who commutes to and from primary school on a daily basis.A Wealthy parents heard about him from a friend and hired him as their daughter’s personal chauffeur:). It’s not as difficult as you might think.
Uber Nigeria contacts
Uber offices in Abuja
Top floor, Jabi Lake Mall, Bala Sokoto way,
Abuja Office hours; Monday – Thursday: 9am – 4pm Friday: 9am – 3pm
29, Mambilla street, Aso drive, Abuja.
Office hours: Monday – Thursday: 9am – 4pm Friday: 9am – 3pm
Uber Lagos Office
Address: Retail unit no. 5. Second upper floor, Maryland Mall, 350/360 Ikorodu Road
Working hours: Monday – Thursday: 9am – 4pm
Friday: 9am – 3pm